Sunday, April 5, 2009

4.5.9 Pre-Easter Day

We decided to celebrate the food part of Easter this past Sunday instead (Palm Sunday). There were various reasons for this including the fact that we planned our detox to start on Monday and I would be sad to celebrate without Lamb and Sweet Stuff, which is unfortunately not part of the detox.

What a day for food! Easter is truly my favorite holiday and the anticipation of it made me wake up several times throughout the night, like a little kid waiting for Christmas. I went to the grocery store early and tried so hard to resist not saying Happy Easter to everyone. Fortunately, it was an early Sunday morning and only a few of us were up and shopping.

The night before I had prepared the Pashka which is a delicious Sweetened Cheese that accompanies the Kulich that I was started Sunday morning bright and early after I returned from the store. It was a bit of a production and other than the fact that they were much shorter than the normal Kulich I remember the taste was unbelievable, especially smatthered with the sweet Pashka. We took pictures and the recipe is in my other more recipe focused blog.

Because there were so many egg whites leftover from the 8 egg yolks used in the Kulich I decided to throw together a Pavlova. We bought fruit and oddly enough we had some leftover whipping cream in the fridge, so it was actually a simple and lovely dessert to put together... after of course whipping the eggs for about 10 minutes and then praying it wouldn't crack or darken, which it did slightly. When mounded together it was hard to notice and the taste in my mouth made all my worries go away.

The Cocoa-Mint Roasted Lamb came together next and the recipe is posted as well at the recipe blog. We created a Cocoa-Mint Rub that encrusted the lamb with Savory-Sweetness. To accompany the lamb I made an Orange-Mint Basil Sauce, because lamb should never be far from its best friend Mint. I also quickly roasted some asparagus to create the Orange-Roasted Asparagus, which I highly recommend trying this recipe the next time you have a bouquet of asparagus ready to eat.

We had friends over and fortunately it was a Potluck, which included Orange Sweet Potatoes, Creamy Scalloped Potatoes, Avocado-Tomato Salad, and a Lemon Glazed Cheese Cake. We topped everything off with some Challah and ate until we finally had coffee to warm and calm our bellies from the exciting food.

What a great way to say good bye to all the foods we will refrain from having over the next several weeks and I can't wait for the Detox version of this Easter coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment