Tuesday, March 31, 2009

3.27 to 3.29.9- Ski Weekend

This weekend was less about food and more about the slopes to say the least. Breakfast (cereal, coffee, toast) was quickly enjoyed as we stuffed our pockets with Bora Bora Bars, Trail Mix and Turkey & Pepper Jack Cheese Sandwiches. Donuts from Daylight Donuts made an appearance at one point, which everyone seemed to enjoy (except me, but donuts & I don't get along). For the most part we were sleeping in a bit, so getting up on the Mountain late meant we didn't stop until the day was over. Thus, the stuffed pockets were essential to sustain ourselves.

On Thursday, we ended the first part of our day early about 3pm, came home for a little R&R which ended with a Greek Chicken Salad right before we headed back out to ski for the evening. A year ago I created a to-do list of 101 things to do in 1001 days and towards the top of the list is Night Skiing. Keystone is open until 8:30 Wednesday through Saturday right now, so we headed out for a little darkened run.

It was seriously amazing.

Please note, I am not really very talented as a skier and everyone else was snowboarding, but only intermediate skill was needed for the dark Mountains with only a few spare lights guiding our way.

Serenity. The only sound was our edges glazing over the groomed snow and our occasional shouts to each other as it was a challenge to see very far. It was like having a resort to yourself since there were only a handful of people up there. And our few Night Skiing Companions were clearly just as blissed out as we were. It was a glorious evening and maybe the conditions were just perfect this time, but I don't care- I am really looking forward to my next night of skiing.

After we discussed our own personal favorite moments of the evening and packed ourselves into the car, we headed back to Breckenridge and I insisted on a treat. We found a quaint coffee shop and ordered a round of Hot Chocolates with a Chocolate Brownie to share.

The next day, Saturday was a lovely repeat of breakfast and stuffed pocket goodies. The evening however was our time to break out of our little condo kitchen and check out some of the fun restaurants Breckenridge has to offer. We were joined by 3 more friends and we settled on Mi Casa Mexican Restaurant. Overall, we all enjoyed the atmosphere, food and the Salsa was deliciously spicy. The medium Salsa Verde was too hot for most at the table, but Xerxes, my brother and I happily gobbled down that plus the Hot Salsa. We also had some spicy Calamari as an appetizer. The feast at our table was wonderful, Shredded Beef Chimichangas, Steak Fajitas, Veggie Quesadillas, and Salmon with Avocado Sauce. Xerxes & I shared a Mango & Pork Burrito, which had more rice in it than I would normally prefer and less of the Mango-Pork part. Since I know we have more adventures in Breckenridge ahead, I am sure we will end up there again and I will not shoot down Xerxes's suggestion of Fajitas as I was very jealous of my brother's sizzling plate of Steak & Veggies.

The next morning, you would think we would be so full, but we were still in the mood for more eating out. We saw the Blue Moose had Organic Coffee and Pancakes- which was all Xerxes needed to know. I enjoyed the Veggie Eggs Benedict which came with Avocado, Tomatoes and of course oozing with Hollandaise. I was very happy. The last few hours of skiing were lovely as our bellies were full of goodness.

Exhausted we swung by Chipotle on our way home for some Burritos. Such an easy satisfyingly cheap way to get some decent calories in. After dropping my brother off at the airport, Xerxes made Brownies. I had no complaints. Just Hot Brownies and Milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment